Palazzo D'Aronco, the City Hall, is the result of an extended project of 1888. A second project was presented in 1909,then the final was chosen in 1910. Works began the following year, interrupted by the war ended in 1925 and the interior were completed in the '30s.
The City Hall is an excellent example of architecture of the twentieth century art nouveau.
The outside of the building is characterized by large colonnades vaulted, the walls are in Istria stone with some coats that celebrate the prayer and the theater.
The statues are 17, 2.5 meters tall and represent the different types of crafts. The majestic iron grating was made by Alberto Calligaris. There are the keystones representing various activities such as medicine and Roman symbols.
The inner spaces emphasizes the same style Liberty, like in the Hall of the People (Stanza del Popolo), where are represented the various sports and theatrical activities.
Worthy of note are the magnificent balustrades, antechambers and Ajace room, whose name is due to the statue of the greek hero Ajax, who participated in the siege of Troy.
He committed the mistake of defying the gods, who sank his forty ships. He is depicted in the instant before Poseidon, one of the major god of classical mythology, destroys the rock on which Ajax had taken refuge.
The boardroom features a ceiling with low arches and several galleries on the sides of it. All living rooms are furnished with original period furniture, made by Sello, Brusconi and Fantoni.
The architect from Gemona, Mr D'Aronco, has managed to build a modern building in a new style.